Nowadays, we are experiencing a rapid shift from Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) vehicles to environmentally sustainable electric vehicles (EV). Moreover, not only India-based but international electric carmakers are also gearing up to launch their electric cars in the Indian EV market. Hence, getting aware and acknowledged of the Upcoming Electric Car Launches in India is also very important. This selective piece brings you here the same panorama of upcoming electric cars in the country.
Although the year 2020 has been full of health and economic crisis due to the pandemic, it has been unable to limit the craze of upcoming green cars and restrict the ascending journey of Electric Vehicles (EV). Last year, we have seen a number of launches from MG ZS EV to Tata Nexon EV. Also, many of us experienced delays in the number of scheduled electric cars launching in India as the market was severely hit by the COVID-19 crisis. But it’s heeling now and hence many automakers are ready to launch their new green vehicles in the market in the present and upcoming years; not only in India but all over the world as well.
Moreover, the recent launch of a new Indian subsidiary in Karnataka by the remarkable Tesla Inc is a threshold in Indian Electric Vehicles Market. Many top green car manufacturers including Tesla, Tata, Mahindra & Mahindra, Mercedes, Audi, and others are gearing up to launch their electric cars in India. Hence, carmakers and buyers, both are taking more interest in this rising trend of the green vehicular market. Also, Electric Vehicles are becoming the biggest option for car buyers to reduce their carbon imprints, and enhancing mobility. Therefore, it becomes crucial to make e-car lovers more aware and acknowledged of these all. Following the same, EV Duniya brings you here the essentials of selected upcoming electric vehicles which are going to be launched in the near future.
Upcoming Electric Car Launches in India
- Tata Altroz EV
- Mahindra eKUV100
- Jaguar I-Pace
- Audi e-tron
- Maruti Suzuki Wagon R EV
- Kia Seltos EV
- Tesla Model 3
- Volvo XC40 Recharge
- Nissan Leaf
- BMW i3
Upcoming Electric Car Launches in India in 2021
TATA Altroz EV
India’s top carmaker, Tata Motors, is expected to launch the electric version of its premium hatchback model ‘Altroz’ in the Indian market soon. Although the exact date of launch is not revealed yet, the vehicle has already gathered a lot of attention. Earlier, this was showcased in Auto Expo 2020. This model seems similar to its ICE version.
- Specifications: The EV will be equipped with an IP67 rated dust-proof battery with a capacity of 30 kWh (It takes an hour to get charged up to 80%.)
- Range: 312 km/charge.
- Key Features: Dual-LED headlamps flanking the front grille, redesigned bumpers, a blue color finish on the beltline running below the windows, semi-digital instrument cluster with a 7-inch TFT display informing charge remains, range, and other vehicle alerts.
- It also comes with an auto AC plus rear AC vents, a 7-inch touchscreen infotainment system having Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.
- Expected Price range: ₹12-15 lakh.
- Expected Launch date: March 2021
In October 2020, during the web launch of the ‘Treo Zor’ electric three-wheeler, Mahindra & Mahindra confirmed its plan of launching the Electric variant Mahindra eKUV100. This car was also showcased at the Auto Expo 2020. The expected pricing of this EV of around ₹8.25 lakh makes it the most affordable electric car in India.
- The EV will have a 15.9 kWh liquid-cooled lithium-ion battery pack. (Supports fast-charging & can charge the battery by up to 80% in 1 hour.)
- A regular charger takes just 6 hours to charge the vehicle fully.
- The power supply of 40 kW rated electric motor which is suitable for 54.4 hp and 120 Nm of power and torque respectively.
- Range : 147 km/charge
- Key Features: A closed-off upper grille with distinctive pattern, silver trim behind the headlamps, silver license plate applique with (+) and (-) symbols, Mahindra Electric branding, and blue accents all around.
- Expected Price: Around ₹8.25 lakh
- Expected Launch date: March 2021
This is the first electric SUV designed & developed by Jaguar Land Rover which is expected to be launched in India soon. The EV already went on sale internationally in March 2018. Now, this much-acclaimed environment-friendly EV has hit India’s shores for an official launch in the upcoming months. Jaguar I-PACE EV will be the second EV offering in the luxury segment in India and will be in three variants including S, SE, and HSE.
- Jaguar I-Pace comes with a 50kW DC charger and a 90 kWh lithium-ion battery pack.
- I-PACE produces 294 kW and 696 Nm power and torque respectively.
- Range : 485 km/charge.
- Key Features: Finished in stunning Firenze Red, top-of-the-line HSE variant, the enhanced exterior with a new Atlas Grey grille tip finish, an enhanced paint palette, a new range of wheels, and a luxurious new bright pack option.
- Expected Price Range: Around ₹1 Crore.
- Expected Launch date: March 2021.
- Know more about Jaguar I-pace, an electric SUV
The all-electric offering of Audi, Audi e-tron, is expected to hit the Indian market in the next half of 2021. It had made its first public appearance back in November 2018. Charged with electrifying designs, breath-taking driving, and innovative technology, e-tron is ready to give its users a sustainable and exhilarating e-mobility along with limitless freedom.
- The car will be equipped with a 95 kWh battery pack.
- It produces up to 320 kW of power (boosts up to 370 kW) with a high degree of comfort.
- Range : 500 km/charge.
- Key Features: Lighting technology, extremely sporty lines, expansive panels, and tapering rear, illuminated rings and virtual side mirrors, and the glowing varnish providing an enthralling touch.
- Expected Price Range: ₹1 to ₹1.50 Crore
- Expected Launch Date: June 2021
- In detail specifications & features of Audi e-tron
Maruti Suzuki Wagon R EV
Maruti Suzuki is expected to launch its electric vehicle version of the famous hatchback Wagon R in India in September 2021. Although the price is not confirmed, the company has indicated that the electric version of the Wagon R could cost upwards of ₹9 lakh in India.
- With fast charging option, it will be capable of charging up to 80% in just 40 mins.
- Propelled by an electric motor with a power output of 50 kW.
- Equipped with safety features of the collapsible steering column, fog lamps, child safety door lock, and an anti-theft system.
- Range : 150-200 km/charge.
- Key Features: Exterior includes projector headlamps, chrome surrounded new radiator grille and clear lens tail lamps. Interior features include a dual-tone scheme and a new multi-information instrument cluster displaying battery status, and distance coverage with charge availability.
- Expected Price Range: ₹7 to ₹10 lakh
- Expected Launch Date: September 2021.
Kia Seltos EV
KIA, the South Korean carmaker, has already grabbed several eyeballs in the Indian car market when it made its debut with Seltos SUV. Now the company is powering this model with electricity to prepare for the upcoming electric vehicle launching season in India. With the arrival of the Kia Seltos EV, also internally codenamed as SP2 EV, the Korean automaker will have a total of three electric cars in its portfolio. It already has Soul EV and Niro EV for sale in the global market.
- This will be offered with a 64 kWh lithium-ion battery pack.
- Powered with 204PS electric motor and maximum torque of 395 Nm
- Range : 400 km/charge
- Key Features: Enhanced aerodynamics with closed upper and lower grilles at front, Blue highlights around the fog lamp assembly and lower radiator black grille, LED headlamps and DRL units, pronounced hood, dual-tone ORVMs, raked windshield, and roof rails. Interior layout and features will be similar to the regular models.
- Expected Price Range: ₹25 to ₹28 lakh
- Expected Launch Date: Currently, Kia hasn’t officially announced any date of launching this variant in India. Rumors indicate that it will be launched somewhere around the end of 2021.
Tesla Model 3
After the recent announcement of launching an Indian subsidiary in Bengaluru by the US Electric Vehicle manufacturing giant Tesla Inc, now every eCar lover is eagerly waiting for the actual sale of Tesla’s Electric Cars. Although there isn’t an exact launch date declared by Tesla, it is expected to launch its most economical product ‘EV Model 3’ in the first half of 2021. Much talked Model 3 is functionally designed with many latest technologies.
- Model 3 is offered in three electric powertrain options, i.e. Standard, Long, and Performance.
- On average, these all are powered by a 60 kWh lithium-ion battery with dual electric motors. In particular, Standard: 202 kW motor/50 kWh battery, Long: 202 kW motor/75 kWh battery & Performance Range: 358 kW motor/75 kWh battery
- The rear-mounted electric motor drives the rear wheels to make 221 hp and an estimated 302 lb-ft (ca. 137 kg-ft) of torque.
- Range: 1) Standard Plus-423 km/charge, 2) Long Range-568 km/charge and 3) Performance (R = 507 km/charge)
- It can do 0-97 kmph sprint in just 3.1 seconds with a top speed of 261 kmph.
- Key Features: Massive 15-inch touchscreen infotainment system, 12-way power-adjustable front seats with heated function; two wireless charging pads, 14-speakers sound system, semi-autonomous driving features, blind-spot monitoring, navigation on autopilot, park assistance, a 360-degree camera, adaptive cruise control with lane changing feature and an emergency brake assistance.
- Expected Price Range: ₹50 lakh onwards.
- Expected Launch date: First half of 2021
- Know more about Tesla Model 3
Volvo XC40 Recharge
Earlier, Swedish carmaker Volvo had unveiled its first full-electric offering in late 2019 in the form of the XC40 Recharge. Later on, Volvo has decided to launch this first-ever EV in India in 2021. It’s based on the newest addition to the XC40 compact SUV which was unveiled in 2017 and went on sale in India in 2018. Here, the word ‘Recharge’ signifies the variant suffix for future all-electric variants in Volvo’s lineup.
- This is enabled with 78 kWh battery pack.
- Charging is available through an 11 kW AC charger or a 150 kW DC fast-charger.
- Features two 204hp electric motors providing a combined output of 408hp power and 660Nm of torque.
- Range: 400 km/charge
- Key Features: New infotainment system powered by Google’s Android OS (First time for Volvo), Volvo On Call- firm’s connected-car tech and is also capable of over-the-air updates.
- Expected Price Range: ₹ 50 lakhs
- Expected Launch date: mid-2021.
- Know more about Volvo XC40 Recharge
Embodying with its three-fold design philosophy of intelligent driving, intelligent power, and intelligent integration, Nissan has unveiled its next-generation Electric Vehicle Leaf (EV Leaf) with a flurry of futuristic technologies.
- This EV has 40 kWh Lithium-ion battery pack which provides more energy capacity without increasing its size.
- Having an electric motor that pumps out 150PS of power and 320 Nm of torque.
- Range: 400 km/charge
- Key Features: ProPilot autonomous driving system (A single-lane self-driving feature), ProPilot Park with 12 ultrasonic sensors, and 4 high-resolution cameras around the car.
- The safety equipment includes Intelligent Lane Intervention, Lane Departure Warning, Intelligent Emergency Braking, Blind Spot Warning, Traffic Sign Recognition, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, and Intelligent Around View Monitor Technology.
- Expected Price Range: ₹30 lakh
- Expected Launch date: February 2021
The all-electric car of the Bavarian carmaker, BMW i3 has been unveiled at the Auto Expo 2018. Also, this small EV is already on sale in many European and US countries. Now, the company is planning to make available this much-awaited green car in the Indian market.
- Powered by a 33 kWh battery along with a motor output of 184PS.
- Range: 280 km/charge
- It sprints from 0-100 kmph in mere 6.9 secs.
- Key Features: Glossy black grille with a flurry of LED elements, the side profile having 20-inch light-alloy wheels, a glass B-pillar, large diffuser shaped bumper, the glass-enclosed LED taillights, sporty contoured steering wheel, 5.7-inch TFT color instrument cluster, an HD 10.25-inch infotainment system with iDrive connected Drive, and Apple CarPlay.
- Expected Price Range: ₹1.00 Crore
- Expected Launch date: June 2021
- Know more about BMW i3
conclusion: consumers have a number of options to buy the best electric car depending on their requirements. All these upcoming electric car launches in India in 2021 after the COVID-19 lockdown are the most awaiting electric vehicles in the automobile industry. For more details or in case you need any consultation related to EV, feel free to contact us or comment below.