In 2012, Model S was launched by Elon Musk with a mission to revolutionize the auto industry and he was moving in the right direction. With a range of 391 miles, ability to acceleration 0-60mph in 2.3 seconds and high safety ratings, this car was favourite of silicon-valley tech enthusiasts. Model S was the first car to get a 5-star rating in various safety tests, making it the safest car to travel in.
Edge of Model S over other electric vehicles is the feature of Autopilot and its ludicrous acceleration. The Interior of the Model S is very stylish. It has a 17-inch touchscreen display that controls almost all the units of the car. This high-tech car gets the software updates with new features, functionality and performance over-the-air.
Specifications of Tesla Model S
- 0-100 km/ hr – 2.3 sec
- Range – 620+ km
- 80% charged – 40 mins
- Power – 503 hp
- Battery: Li-ion 85kWh
Model S has Interior in Cream, Black and White/Black colour, and the vehicle comes with 790 litres of trunk volume. The sedan generates a torque of 660Nm and attains a top speed of 260km/ hr.
- Length: 497.8 cm
- Width, (incl. mirrors): 218.9 cm
- Height, (incl. shark fin): 165.2 cm
- Track, front: 166.1 cm
- Track, rear: 169.9 cm
- Ground clearance: 18 cm
Also read: Features & Spec of VOLVO X40 Recharge
Model S is full of surprises. Some of the features are
- Autopilot: it is advanced driver assistance capable of controlling brakes, throttle and even steering. It has 360 degrees visibility and it is supported by 12 ultrasonic sensors which provide 160m forward protection.
- Ludicrous mode: User needs to press a Ludicrous option for 5 seconds. User is then told that ludicrous mode will expedite wear on battery, motor and gearbox. Then it shows 2 options: “No, I want my Mommy” or “Yes, bring it on.” And your car moves from standstill to 100kph in 2.24 seconds.
- Over-the-air updates: Just like mobile phones, Model S downloads new software updates over-the-air which erases the bugs and introduces new upgrades.
- Streaming services: As the car is connected to the internet for software updates, Tesla was able to provide audio streaming services like Slacker and TuneIn.
- Web browsing: the 17-inch display allows you to browse the internet. For safety reasons, video streaming is not allowed.
- Auto-raising suspension: This feature allows the car to automatically lower at high speed on the highway and then rise up as you exit the highway. If you manually raise it at a certain point, the car will remember that spot and automatically raise the next time you go over the same area.
- Advanced parking sensors: Sensors in Tesla cars is unique as it shows where the object is and how far is it. Along with red and yellow lines, this sensor shows you the distance in inches.
- The Key: The key is shaped like the car itself. Just by pushing different parts of the little car, you can lock/unlock the car, open the trunk or sunroof. It can be used to pull the car out of the parking spot without even being inside
- The App: If you don’t want to use that key for these functions, you can still use the app for the same. This app enables you to set the climate control of the car.
Also read: Tesla Model 3 Specifications & Features
Elon Musk had said that Tesla may run on Indian roads in 2020. But given the condition of infrastructure in India, buying a Tesla looks like a distant dream for Indians. Nonetheless, some analysts suggest that Tesla might enter the Indian EV market in 2021 with Model S priced at Rs.1.5Cr.